Thursday, June 14, 2012

William Greenwood History

            I was born of goodly parents, Robinson Greenwood and Elizabeth Cryer.  They were born in Yorkshire in the rural districts.  Suffice to say they lived to a long age together with my forefathers. My mother was of a religious mind and belonged to the Baptist church all her life; hence, she took considerable pains to have me be religious also.  My father was of a worldly moral turn. His occupation was a merchant miller, and he owned a large flouring establishment and was quite a man of business and that too, successful.
            In my early childhood I was naturally of a serious turn of mind which often kept me from joining with my companions is that which would bring me to ruin.  Being raised in the midst of a large populous city and with many temptations to beset me in my early youth, it has often been a wonder to me how I escaped the many corruptions that were around me, but I have always acknowledged that God did surely preserve me for a wise purpose, and I do not take the glory to myself- - but God, my Heavenly Father.
            When but a child I wondered how it was that there were so many ways for people to get to heaven and serve God and how they could all be right.  I well recollect when but seven years old being in a very serious state of mind, asking God to show me and give me a testimony of that which was the right way.  I received as assurance that it should be given to me in the future.
            I received a liberal education up to the time I was fifteen years. Being the youngest son living of seven brothers I was thought well of my parents and the mores so because I shunned wild company. My father took me in confidence in his business at the age of sixteen years and my prospects in the mercantile life was promising.  I continued, up to the time I heard of the fullness of the gospel, to enjoy the confidence and good will of all around; and prosperity, as far as this world’s goods, was mine in abundance.
            Upon being invited by my former school teacher (Thomas Ward) to go and hear a strange sect by the name of Angelites, merely for novelty’s sake, I went.  It was in a poor man’s house. The preachers were not at all of fine polished type after the manner of the world, but poor fisherman like.  I liked their doctrine well. It sounded to me familiar and childlike and simple and so much like the voice of the ancient saints.  I thought I would seek further and ask God to give me a testimony, expecting he would answer my simple prayer- - for surely it was simple for I was but a child.
            After a diligent perusal of the Holy Scripture that I was taught to read from childhood, I found them truly to contain the Gospel and the Spirit that attended the preaching of the elders- - caused my eyes to see the true order established in the day of Jesus and the Apostles.  My parents and relatives were much alarmed for my safety, for all maaer of evil respecting those who God sent with the Gospel was circulated- - but truth is mighty and did and will prevail.  I was therefore told in plain terms the consequence if I should become united to such a deluded set and that I was to leave my home, relatives, and friends, and become a cast away.  The priests raised the warning voice concerning delusion, imposters, etc.
            About this time- November 1840- I became entirely convinced by the remission of my sins and hands laid upon me for the gift of the Holy Ghost by those called by direct revelation where God and Christ dwells I could not come, but the consequence that I saw would follow - - I should have to leave my home and part with all my relatives and former friends.  A few days before I was baptized my Father and Mother called me into their room, and told me if I followed after that delusion I could no longer have a home with them, and that I should be cut off from all the rights of property, etc.  My reply was, “When my Father and Mother forsake me, the Lord, My God, will take care of me.”
            I went forth on the 29th day of November 1840 about 10 in the morning before a number of witnesses.  The water course I was baptized in was right before the Methodist chapel—just as the people were assembling—it being Sunday morning!  Elder Rodger Dewhurst baptized me.   I was confirmed the same day in meeting.  I returned home at noon but no sooner did I enter my father’s house than I heard the sentence given by my Father, “You can have no home here.”  I accordingly left, but I can say that God did sustain me and comfort me and made me to rejoice in the midst of all opposition.
            In those days after I left home I was invited to go and live with my brother, John, in a place called Chorley near Preston, England.  My father in the meantime fretted about me and wished me come home.  I wrote to him and told him of the false reports, and that he might depend upon to be diligent and faithful to him in his business.  I returned home and remained some two or more weeks—in this time all manner of evil reports were carried to my father insomuch that he banished me again from his house.
            It seemed that so long as I possessed the spirit of the latter day work I had no friends of this world, and it seemed all the powers of earth and hell were combined against those who brought the gospel as revealed to Joseph smith and the Latter-Day Saints.  I again returned to my brother John’s in Chorley and was treated kindly by my brother and his wife, Catherine.  In the meantime I paid a visit to my folks, but the same severe treatment and resentment was meted out. An older brother, Robinson, whilst in my father’s house took a horse whip and whipped me out of the door.
            I have five brothers and one sister living at this time—James, John, Anthony, Jonathan, Robinson and Elizabeth.  I had two brothers dead- Thomas and George- and two sisters- Martha and Hannah.  My greatest enemy was my brother, Robinson.  He will have his reward.
            I must now pass on the time I left my native land to gather with the Saints on the 12th day of March 1842. I set sail in the ship “Hanover” from Liverpool, England.  I had a pleasant voyage across the sea, though the diet, etc. was so much different.  It took me some time to get used to the fare, but after all I did not feel to murmur against the Almighty. I landed in Orleans the 25th day of April 1842. We all took passage on a steamboat and landed in the city of Nauvoo, the 15th day of May.
            The first night I slept on shore it was at the house of Brother Richard Withnal who made us welcome, though he was poor.  The day after my arrival I went to live with one John Robinson on the flat in Nauvoo. I then got work at the mill of Laws and Co.
            In fourteen days from my arrival I was taken down with river complaint or bowel complaint.  In the course of my sickness I was reduced to skin and bone, insomuch that everyone who saw me gave up and at one time they pronounced me dead. I have always said that I died and then came back to inhabit my tabernacle and do a great work upon the earth.  From this time life seemed to be given to me more fully yet I was like a little child- - my mind and body alike childish.  The Lord from time to time did comfort me in my afflictions and his servants did administer to me- - Brethren of the twelve, John Taylor and Brigham Young, I remember in particular.
            At one time a holy Angel from the Mansions of Glory administered unto me, and at the time he stood before me and took me by the hand he told me who he was- - and it seemed I had known him before.  The brightness of his person was above the splendor of the sun at noon day, and his words, though simple and easy to be understood—such was their power that they ran through every vein and part of my body.  Electricity is no comparison to the sensation that I felt- - tongue nor language cannot describe- - only can it be known by those who pass through it.  Suffice to say, many words of comfort and consolation and promises were given to me, which part has been fulfilled.
            About this time, August 1842, I was baptized for my health in the baptismal font in the basement of the Temple then being built.  Through my sickness I had hard fare sometimes finding something to eat.  As a general thing people all around were very poor.  Brother William Rushton, sent me two or three dollars on a store and many would give me a good meal when they had it.  It seemed to me my memory was taken away, but as I recovered things in the past were restored and the God of Joseph and Hyrum did keep me safe and the spirit of apostasy was kept from me, and I never felt to murmur at my life.
            The Prophet called upon the elders to go out to preach in the fall.  It was at this time that Bennett and Laws and other turned against Joseph.  Many went out on mission and Joseph’s name was help up from President of the United States.
            On the 29th day of September 1942, I started, in company with Brother Esaias Edwards, on a mission.  Our course was north towards Wisconsin Territory.  We were blessed in bearing testimony of Joseph against the wicked lies that were circulated by apostates. In starting out my feet were very tender, and for about 40 miles from Nauvoo the people were very bitter against us.  They refused us food and lodgings, but we did not suffer for, according to our day we had strength, and we bore a faithful testimony of the mission of Joseph Smith.  In the month of November, Br. Edwards received news of the sickness of his wife and he returned to them.  I was left along.  I then traveled down the Mississippi as far as Davenport about 100 miles travel from Nauvoo.  The winter was very severe.  At that place some of my old shipmates had come up from Nauvoo- - William Houghton and family.
            At that time I had made up my mind to get married, I made my intentions known to Alice Houghton, daughter of William Houghton.  In April, or March, I remember a letter coming to Nauvoo informing me of the death of my father and that he had left me one thousand pounds ($5,000).  On the 30th day of May 1843, Alice Houghton was married to me according to the Law of U.S.
            On the 17th day of June 1843 we started for England and had a prosperous journey and arrived in Liverpool on the 22nd day of July 1843. We started the next day and arrived in my native town, Burnley.  Many were anxious to see me, some wondered if my wife could talk English.  My relatives were anxious to find out and expected that I would have, by this time, got sick of my religion.  They had heard of my hardships, etc. - - but I gave them to understand that Joseph was a man of God and as soon as possible would get ready to return to America again.  When I got what means I could, I made preparations to return.
            The property was so left that I could only draw $1,000 and the balance in three years; however, I made a proposition to my brother, Robinson, who was left very unjustly sole executor of my father’s will.  I agreed to throw off $1,000 in order to obtain the balance.  So having got hold of some $4,000 in my own hands, I could not feel nor see any prospect of enjoying myself. The scenes of childhood seemed no home to me.  Every inducement was offered me to remain.  My mother thought I was hard hearted, but the commandments of the Lord were more to me than all my relatives.  I wished them well, and hoped some day to do a work for my relatives and they will yet see the day that I will be a Savior to my father’s house.
            On the 9th day of December 1843, we set sail in the ship “Rochester” from Liverpool.  We had a stormy passage across the sea, but arrived safely in New York January 15, 1844.  We stayed two days in New York and then journeyed on it being winter and very cold.  In crossing the Allegheny Mountains we stayed about in the middle of the mountains at a place of an old German settler of the mountains who kept a tavern.  They treated us kingly at this place and we spent some 14 days there and then journeyed on to Pittsburgh and stayed about four weeks.  At this time my wife was baptized by Br. Saverg who presided over the Pittsburgh branch.  Her folks previous to this had all been baptizes into the Church. (I will say that William Houghton and family crossed the sea at the time with me in the ship “Hanover” in 1842.)
            About the 7th day of March 1844 we took passage on board a new steamer- - Allignippia (the name of an Indian Queen.)  The captain’s name was Joseph Smith.  We traveled down the river until we came to Cincinnati, Ohio.  In the night between this place and Louisville my wife Alice was confirmed of a son about 11 o’clock in the night.  She got along first rate considering she was traveling.  This was the 10 of March 1844.  Two weeks from the time we started from Pittsburgh we arrived in St. Louis.  My wife wished me to go up the river to Davenport where her father lived.
            In April I went down the river to Nauvoo to attend conference.  On the 6th of April at this conference the Prophet Joseph Smith gave some good instructions on the plurality of the Gods and the Land of Zion being North and South America.  This was the last conference that Joseph Smith attended and if any man ever spoke truth and was inspired  of God, it was Joseph Smith, the man of this the dispensation of the fullness of times.  He was truly sent of God. After conference I went to see the Prophet and expected to let him have some money and receive some land out on the prairie near the big mound a few miles from Nauvoo.  I returned to Davenport expecting to return to Nauvoo, but my father-in-law was opposed to my returning, and took possession of my money.  Not being sufficiently determined, I stopped in Davenport and purchased a farm joining the town. (168 acres)
            I can truly say that I was far from enjoying myself. The influence of apostates and those who are opposed to the gospel of Jesus Christ was there. I was more and more dissatisfied. In about one year I paid a visit to Nauvoo to pay my tithing. The Prophet Joseph Smith and Hyrum Smith were martyred in Carthage jail on the 27th day of Jun 1844.  The news came to Davenport and the mass of the people justified the cold bloody deed.  In paying a visit to Nauvoo, my wife’s father was much opposed to my paying my tithing, etc.  insomuch that he came into my house and took away my carpet bag with the money in and kept it in his possession for a few days.  About this time one Brother Raleigh called and stayed with me and told me to fix up my affairs, so as to move down to Nauvoo. This I was determined to do.
            On the 17th of day of May 1845, I went down the river and paid in on my tithing and also received my Patriarchal Blessing from John Smith, Patriarch. {blessing typed at the end of this history.}  This visit put within me a determination to live with my Brethren and enjoy the teachings of the servants of God independently of all the opposition from my wife’s folks, who did all in their power to make my wife of the same spirit, etc.  I told her I was going to gather with the Saints to live and die with them and that she could have her choice and if it came to the worst I would forsake wife and children, etc.  My father-in-law was very much enraged at me. At this time he feel from a horse and broke his arm, this for a time turned his attention.
            In the beginning of August 1845, I gather my loose property together such as my furniture and one pony and carriage and moved down the river. The whole town was enraged at me and published about me in the “Davenport Gazette.” I left my farm and all my outfit, teams, cows, etc and rented them to Jas. Houghton and John Rigby. I arrived safely in Nauvoo and rented a house on Mullholland Street.
            In the latter end of August a mob on the outskirts of the city began to put into operation their hellish plans by burning the houses, etc.  of the Saints.  Father Morley’s settlement was burnt out and a general rising of the mob through Hancock County commenced.  The Saints called upon the sheriff of the county whose name is Backenstock. He was truthful and called upon the inhabitants of the county to aid and assist him to put the law in force.  We all turned out (or nearly so) and dispelled the mob.
            In company with my brethren about the 1st of September I went out, commanded by Stephen Markham.  Everything connected with the mob fled before us. We camped a day or two at a farm house – three miles from Green Plains, the general camping place of the mob.  It was owned by one Col. Williams.  The mob upon hearing of us fled to Warsaw and then across the river into Missouri.  We then took up our line of march to Carthage and fell in with forces from Nauvoo under Brother Miller and others.  The forces surrounding Carthage.   The mob that was there fled in all directions leaving all of us, but our orders were “not to hurt or destroy anything.”
            In the morning we took up our line of march for Warsaw.  The mob kept out of our way and scattered in all directions.  In the evening we got to Warsaw and halted in the main part of town.  The men had fled leaving only women and children.  It was then agreed to return home to Nauvoo.  We arrived about midnight and were glad to get there.
            Two days after this my little daughter, Elizabeth Alice, died on the 8th day of Septemeber 1845.
            All this time the Temple was being finished so that endowments could be given. I went up the river to Davenport to sell my farm, etc. as I was determined to move out west.  The authorities of the land called upon the Twelve to agree to leave the state in mass as the church agreements were entered into to leave in the spring.  Previous to this, I had purchased a new brick house and lot from one, John Pickles. I paid him for it as per agreement and knew at the same time that I should have to abandon it. I let Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball have $500 (it was part of the means received from my farm.)  After October conference preparations were entered into to make wagons, etc. and to give endowments in the temple.  In January 1845, I received, in connection with my wife, Alice, endowments and on the 6th of February received the sealing of the new and everlasting covenant and was adopted into President Brigham Young’s family. I was ordained a seventy in the 31st quorum of Seventies on the 9th day of October 1845.
            In February- - the Twelve were hunted for their lives.  Writs were got out, and tried to be served upon Brother Brigham more especially.  At one time they waited at the temple door and one Brother Wm. Miller came to the door and the officer served a write upon Miller taking him to be Brigham Young.  They conveyed him to Carthage and then found out their mistake.  It this month the Twelve with many others crossed the river into Iowa and began to travel westward.  Not having my business settled up I was detained from starting with the Twelve; however, I let my carriage and harness and one horse go to assist the company, besides money to assist.
            I had occasion to go to Davenport to receive the balance of my pay for my farm, etc.  My wife’s folks made threats as to what they would do when I came up, but I escaped unhurt.  I bore my testimony to Moses Houghton and wife, Betty, and also to one Robert Jackson, whom I assisted from England (he having apostatized). I told them they would yet remember me when God’s judgment should go forth to punish this nation for killing the anointed of God, and the Saints will stand in holy places.
            On the first day of May 1846, myself, and wife Alice, Joseph and Benjamin, my two little sons, also Brother Richard Withnal and family (in number seven) and like the ancients we journeyed on through the rain and mud trusting to the Almighty God of Jacob to lead us.  We journeyed on to Council Bluffs and the church made preparations to stay for the winter around the country some on the east and some on the west side of the Missouri River.
            The Mormon Battalion was called out by the government to try our loyalty.  They thought we should refuse to let 500 of our best men go to fight against the Mexicans.  My teamster, Walter Barney went, but I went into Quarters on Little Pigeon.  It now is a sickly time.  Many of the Saints laid down their lives through the hardships they were called to endure and through so many being destitute of the comforts of life. In the month of September I was taken with the chills and fever and all expected me to die.
            Little Pigeon is some 7 to 9 miles from the Missouri River. There lived in this little grove in the hills many of the families of saints—Allreds, Hegberts, Ivins, Chipmans, Taylors and many others.  The twelve and the main body of the church crossed the River.  Thus, on both sides of the river the church rested for the fall and winter.  The east side was called Council Bluffs and the west side Winter Quarter.
            As soon as the spring of 1847 dawned preparations were commenced to be entered into.  A majority of the Quorum of the Twelve with many others were in readiness to start by the first of April 1847.  Their course was westward.  Their object was to seek a place that the saints might rest in peach from their enemies and be far from a wicked world. From the first introduction of the gospel Joseph and his brethren were hunted like the deer on the mountains and our foes were continually on the alert, but their hopes now were that we should go into the wilderness and there perish with hunger. Away went the noble band of pioneers trusting in God to lead them.  Few in number – seeking for country - - they knew not where.
            In the month of May 1847, I started down the river with some two or three to obtain an outfit - - provisions, etc.  I wanted to follow out after the pioneers.  I exchanged considerable property such as clothing, my watch, etc. I was blessed in obtaining bread stuff, etc. in the middle of June 1847, I left my little house that I had wintered in, and felt full of faith to follow the servants of the most High God.  I joined the main camp on the Horn River (started June 31, 1847)  There were about 550 wagons, teams cows, etc.  We traveled up the Platte River in companies of 50 and 100, wagons having captains of 10’s, 50’s, and 100’s.  Sometimes all the wagons would be in sight at one time.  It truly was a wonder to all and could our foes have see us they certainly would have acknowledged  we deserved salvation temporarily and eternally - - too see hundreds of men, women and children rejoicing to leave our homes and lands we had bought and paid for trusting in God to bring us safe through to our journey’s end.
            Having not kept a daily journal I have not the dates of our arriving at the different points. Two days before we arrived at the Pacific Springs we heard of the Pioneers - - this is the first we heard of them. Also I must say here that one item of my journey was that I had stolen from me, together with some ten or eleven more horses, my two ponies that I thought everything of for they were a good team for fourteen or fifteen hundred pound weight.  It was some thirty miles west of For Swimie. It was supposed to be Indians. We felt this loss very much, still we journeyed on.  We met the Pioneers at the Pacific Springs, and rejoiced to meet with the noble band of Pioneers.  We heard from then that they had found place for the oppressed of the Almighty now wandering in the wilderness.  And I must here say that after having my ponies stolen, my oxen began to fail. My wife also had two small children - - Benjamin and Margaret Ann, that could not walk.  We continued our journey over deserts and high mountains following on the track of the Pioneers.  It was almost impassable going through the narrow passes of the mountains.  At last we burst forth into open space- - a beautiful valley - - the place where His servants had lead the way by inspiration - - a place of rest from our foes and the fury of mobs.  And my prayer is that I may be worthy to live and inherit this land and be ever faithful to the Church and the Kingdom of God.
            We arrived at the Old Fort, October 28, 1847, - - a day ever to be remember by me and my wife, Alice. She had to carry in many places her two smallest children over the mountains because of the dangerous roads, but we felt thankful that we were brought safely through to a resting place for our weary feet.  I purchased a log house partly put up by Patriarch Jno. Smith and got into the same in a few weeks. And we had a floor which was sawed by Brother Hess, one of the Battalion boys, I gave him some bread stuff for it. I also took in one of the Battalion boys, Robert Egbert, in January 1848. I renewed my covenant by baptism.
            I acted as clerk of the high council through the winter season, but kept no diary.  We had good meetings with the Quorums. It was a scarce time for bread and we had to be put on allowances.  I divided up with my brethren making things last out by eating poor beef, roots and greens.
            July 14, 1848, Up to this time the Saints in the mountains have been tried, for at one time, about one month ago, the crickets seemed as if they would eat everything up. My crop was almost entirely eaten up, but there was part not destroyed; hence, we were encouraged.
            July 15 - Today have been stacking hay and ate supper on ground wheat.
            July 16 - Sunday. Attend meeting in the center of the square.  Elder Jed M. Grant and others spoke on the necessity of taking care of the grain.
            July 17 - Monday. Thrashed out some. Got for work one bushel.
            July 18 - Got it chopped.
            July 19 - Whitewashed my log room.
            20 and 21  -  Hot days.  Reaped a little wheat—harvested general
            22  - to work.
            23 - Sun. Attended meeting address by P.P. Pratt and President Jno. Taylor of the Twelve and President John Smith.
            From 24 to 27 -  hot days
            28 to 29 – been gleaning wheat.
            30-  Meeting addressed by Elders Chas. Rich and P. P. Pratt and President Jno. Smith on stealing and following out the Epistle which was read every Sunday.  My wife, Alice, renewed her covenant by being baptized and confirmed.
            31 - Sold a cow for $20.00
            August 1, 2, 3, 4,- on the 4th and 5th thrashed out some wheat that I raised on land put in by Jacob Gates on shares by me.
            Sun. 6 – had news from President C.B. young and Co. returning to the valley (600 wagons)
            7 -  Today cleaning up wheat
            9- Assisting to build a bowery in old Fort
            10- This day we celebrated harvest feast by erecting a liberty pole and a white flag and a sheaf of wheat and barley and by the firing of cannons and shouting of Hosanna!  Hosanna!  Hosanna!  To God and the Lamb - - three times.  Preparations were then made to set tables and put on the products of the valley.  All the people sat down at 12 o’clock noon, and the feast was truly a feast of fat things. All were truly thankful of the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, and Hyrum for the blessings of the same, and for the harvest that God had given us.  All the Saints that were in the mountains partook of the feast – there being about one thousand under a bowery erected for that purpose.  At 2 p.m. the trumpet sounded for the people to clear away the tables and come to order and an address was given by each—Elder John Taylor, Parley P Pratt, Jed M Grant, and others, on the good partaken of and the privileges of the Saints.  Also a call was made to assist in the President C. B. Young and Company who are now on the way to the valley. In order that our feast might be acceptable to the Lord the two center alleys of the bowery were then cleared away and the seats were set in order and all went forth in the dance until sunset.
            11-  Today we had a beautiful shower of rain.
            12- Repairing my wagon to go back on the road to meet the companies.
            13- Today is Sunday and the subject of making roads and assisting
            Aug. 19- The past week teams have been going back to meet the coming emigration. The weather is very favorable.
            Aug. 24 – The people were called together by the ringing of the bell to send more help for the emigration companies.
            25 – Up to the 30th of August the nights were very cool and the days hots.
            31- Had frost.  I am now making sun-dried brick (or adobes.)
            Sept. 1 to 3 – considerable rain at intervals- also snow on the mountains up to 7 of September.  Good weather.  My daughter, Margaret, is sick of fever and a sort of influenza, but I have faith that she will soon be better again.
            10 – Today is Sunday. Our meeting was addressed by Parley P Pratt. His subject was resurrection, he spoke of the death of Brothers. Brawet, Cox, and Allen, who have been killed by the Indians in California.
            11-12  - Had some heavy rains which wet down 12 to 13 inches. My daughter, Margaret, is much better.
            Up to the 15- there is snow in the mountains and frosty nights.
            On the 16th it is a pleasant day.  On the 17, Sun. we heard of the companies being on the Weber.
            22- Fri  President B. Young arrived in the valley.
            24- Sunday meeting has some very good instructions given by President B. Young  President Heber C Kimball arrived.
            Oct 1.  Had good weather up to this date.  Sunday meetings addressed by President B. Young and H., C. Kimball, Pres. Young in the evening addressed the people on the subject of Mormon Battalion and said that the band of brethren who had enlisted and filled their mission with honor were the means of deliverance to this people and their temporal salvation – like a ram caught in the thicket.  Also speeches were given by Captain Hunt and Brown and others told of the privations the band of 500 went through.
            Oct. 5 – The day appointed for the Battalion to have a feast, but an account of the rain it was adjourned over to the 6 which went off in good order and credit.  All rejoicing and dancing together.
            Oct. 8- Conference commended and the First Presidency for the first time in the valley were presented.  For President, prophet, seer and revelator, Brigham Young and Heber C Kimball and Willard Richards, his two counselors.  Carried unanimously. John Smith, Patriarch of the Church.  President Young spoke of the priesthood and the necessity of a first presidency and patriarch and that no man was ever ordained to any higher order than an apostle. And that Joseph Smith never received any higher ordination.  Many very good instructions were given the high council, the first seven presidents of the seventies and Bishop W. K. Whitney as presiding Bishop all were presented and unanimously sustained.  Conference then adjourned until next Sunday at 10 a.m.
            Oct 15 – Conference was opened by prayer by Pres. Joseph Young.  President B. Young presented the subject of those who raised the first crops in the valleys and the blessing of paying tithing on the same.  Pres. H. Kimball spoke on the same subject and if we will observe the law God will pour out blessings upon his people.  The minutes of a conference held on the Pacific Islands by Brothers Addison Pratt and Gruett were read.  Brother A. Pratt then gave a description of the Islands and the natives and the prosperity of the gospel on those Islands and that many laborers were need in that part of the vineyard.  It was voted to send out Elders to Islands with Brother Pratt.  Also elders to be sent to Holland, East Indies and the whole world.  President B. Young requested that the high priests, seventies, elders, etc.  get together and brush off the rust and dust from each other and inform our minds of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.  Adjourned for one hour – met again- many good instructions given by the President. Adjourned to next Sun. 
            Oct 22.  Met as adjourned. Good instruction given. It was asked if those who had done plowing the laying out of the Church farm would they turn into the church their share for tithing. Adjourned.
            Oct. 29 – Met again. A call was made to work on the council houses.  The President spoke of some who wish to go off to themselves from the main body of the church. All those who so pursue such a course were of the devil. He called the Saints to pull together and then the blessings of God would rest with the people.  The conference then adjourned to the 6 day of April 1849.
            I tool up my city lot- Sat. 6- block 52, plot 6
            The Quorum of the Seventies which I have the pleasure of being a member of, met at Pres. George C. Rizers every Sunday evening at early candle and showed how it was necessary to be pliable in the hands of the great Potter.  Also Pres. B. Young said if we make all things right with our God we should be sure to make all things right with our fellow men.
            Dec. 6, 1848 – I moved into a house which I have built on my lot.  It is adobe.  One front room and a bedroom and pantry.  Previous to my final move into my new house I had my feet frozen in going up to Red Butte Canyon.  My shoes came all to pieces in getting my wood together and I came from the head of the canyon home in bare feet.  The freezing was intense, but they soon got well again.  I dedicated my house and my family to the God of my Fathers. Very much snow during the month of December
            Jan. 5, 1949- Today the 31st and 30th Quorums of Seventies joined in a festival.  Together myself and wife, Alice, enjoyed ourselves very much. It is very cold.
            Jan. 11 – President Young today spoke of a certain council that was organized in the days of Joseph also spoke of those who were blessed with a good crop last year and that they were speculating out of their brethren, obtaining a good price for the same.  If they did not repent they would go to hell. There was plenty of bread to supply at three-fourths lb. per head.
            The spring up to the 18 day of May 1849 has been very good for putting in grain, I dedicated the seed and the ground to God, trusting in Him for the increase. Up to August 3, 1849- up to this time I have been blessed in my efforts to raise bread for which I am thankful to my God and give Him the praise forever.  I sent my first grist to the mill.
            July 24, 1849 – Today was the grand first celebration of the arrival of the Pioneers into the valley. The first Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve was escorted to the old bowery made of mud and stakes by 24 young ladies and 24 young men.  Also, the veteran fathers, bishops of the different wards and a brass band.  On their arrival at the bowery they were saluted by shouts from the people of Hosanna, and long live the Governor of Deseret.  Also the procession moved around the bowery singing “we are the true born sons of Joseph of Zion.”  The Declaration of Independence was presented to Pres. Young by 24 young men and which he had read.  Many interesting remarks were made on the boon of liberty and of the fallen liberty that was meet out to us being driver from our homes, etc. The whole people then partook of a rich feast which was carried on in great order by the wards being organized in 10. The wards set tables, when they were cleared away short speeches were given and singing was conducted.  It is a day long to be remembered.
            Dec. 18, 1850 – The past year I rejoice that the Lord is rolling forth his work in the earth.  Plagues are stalking abroad, pro ? ? that the time of His coming draweth nigh.  God has blessed me in my labors.
            In the year 1851, I moved from Salt Lake City to American Fork City.
            1852 and 1853, I am struggling and working hard to raise my little family of small children, being seven in number.
            Up to January 1855, the past year has been a year of plenty of every kind of bread stuffs, and a great draft in the United States for the Ward between Russia and the combined powers of England and France and Turkey.
            This spring of 1855 has been very favorable for putting in the small seeds. A very early spring. At this date, May 10, 1855, the grasshoppers have hatched out and they appear to cover the face of the whole country and as numerous as the sands upon the seashore.  The grain and every green thing is devoured by them, and all other settlements around appear to be sharing the same fate, but the hand of the Lord is in this, and will eventually work out for the good of his faithful, for it is written that judgments begin at the house of God first, and then God will in His own due time remember the wicked and ungodly. I am at this time laid up – having severely cut my right foot with an ax on the instep and I feel to say the hand of the Lord id is all this, and over his Saints for good, suffice to say that the year of 1855 will be a year long to be remembered by the Saints in the mountains for the destruction of crops and cattle.
            May 18, 1856.  Up to this date there is a good prospect for raising grain.  I feel to write the following. Half past seven p.m. Feb. 23, 1856 brought forth a daughter whom we named Rachel.  My family now numbers six sons and three daughters.  My  wife, Alice, enjoying good health for which I thank God.  My oldest son, Joseph Robinson is a good trusty boy. He was 12 years old last March 10 and he promise to be a good man and now assists his father in putting in grain. My prayer is that he may be useful in building up the kingdom of God and be worthy to be trusted in the things of the kingdom.  My son, Benjamin, is a stout boy ten years old and can work with any boy of his age when he has a mind to, but he is of a stubborn-disposition -  and the way he sets himself he will go ahead. My prayer is that the powers of the Holy priesthood may every turn him in the right path and have power over him to control him and do a good work in the Church of Jesus Christ.
            I feel to say he will and his face be like a flint.  The next is my daughter, Margaret- nine years old last Feb. 25, 1856 – an example to her sex- a lover of home, trusty to her mother, industrious and ever attentive to her smaller brothers and sister.  She is inclined to be backward in company and shy to strangers.  May the Lord preserve her long upon the earth to be a pattern of good to all around her, and be a mother in Israel and a stay to principles of virtue in the circle she shall move which she promises fair to be a pattern.
            My daughter, Alice, seven years old, is inclined to be careless, but quick to learn- no care nor trouble upon her mind, but will still make a smart woman of a healthy constitution.  May she yet be a bright star in the kingdom of our Redeemer.
            Next is my son, William, six years old, rather small is stature but a mind and body full of activity and never still only when asleep-  inclined to be of consequence in his mind and actions bold and resolute.  May he be bold in the principles of the Gospel of Jesus and grow up to be a good man.
            Next is my son, Samuel, four years old, March 5, 1856, a peaceable and amiable disposition, very little to say, generally a great favorite of his sister, Margaret.  Never inclined to quarrel with any person, very distant with grown persons, and ever with his father and mother, easy to be controlled especially by mild means.  May he live long on the earth to bear his father’s name to the latest generations and all his enemies who seek to hurt his peaceable disposition, may they not prosper. He is young though very stout in body and contented.  May he ever be and do right.
            Next me son, Jacob, three years old February 25, 1856.  He is a smart boy wide awake to what is going on, not easily cheated and well calculated to fight his way through this world, not afraid not timid. May he be vigilant in the Redeemer’s cause, and never swerve from the principles of the Kingdom of God upon the earth. He is a stout, healthy boy.  May he be strong in the faith of the gospel.
            Next is my daughter, Rachel, a few months old.  May she be preserved to a good old age and bare sons and daughters in the kingdom of God.
            It is now May 25, 1856. the past year – the later part- there has been a great reformation amongst the Saints.  Everyone going forth and renewing the covenants by being baptized and President Jedediah M. Grant one of the first presidency of the Church, fell as a martyr to reformation through his excessive labors, preaching and baptizing the people.  Also this year the emigration from the old country came over the plains with hand carts, and through starting late in the season many laid down their lives in consequence of the severe cold in the mountains and hunger, but the Saints in the valley responded nobly to the call by sending out teams and provisions and they were brought in, being month of December 1856.
            This year 1857, has been one of the most fruitful years ever known in the valleys of the mountains and all in fulfillment of the words of Brigham and Heber, the Prophets of the Lord. The counsel is to lay up grain etc. against the day of famine, my prayer is that I may be able to carry out this counsel.  Brother H. C Kimball prophesied last April conference that the time was night at hand when a famine such as this earth never witnessed since it was created, and for this people to lay up seven years bread stuff in advance.
            May 21, 1857, I was ordained under the hands of President Joseph Young and others one of the seven presidents of the 44 Quorum of seventies.
            July 24, 1857. Being invited by President Young to accompany Bishop L. E.  Harrington with others from American Fork Ward to celebrate the anniversary of the noble pioneers at the head waters of Big Cotton Wood Canyon with the first Presidency and a large company from nearly all parts of the territory.  My wife, Alice, accompanied me.  We started about noon July 2 and arrived on the camping ground about 3:00 p.m. on the 23rd.  The order of the day was for everyone to enjoy themselves in the best manner possible.  There was music, singing, praying,  preaching, and going forth in the dance. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves to the full in the midst of the good influence that always surrounds the servants of God, for truly the first Presidency are surrounded continually by the power of the Almighty God of Jacob and it is powerfully felt and realized by all that have any degree of the Spirit of God.  During the day of the 24th, in the afternoon news was brought by Abraham O. Smoot and others who just came in from the United States, and the news was that President James Buchanan and his Cabinet of the U.S. was sending and that hey had already started 2500 soldiers, the flower of the army, and a new governor and a set of judges to enforce the law, etc.  Previous to this time the judges sent here as a general thing were men of corrupt habits, etc. and the people proclaimed against them. They ran off and raised all manner of false report against the servants of God and that we were disloyal and were rebels to the general government.  Hence, they were now sending on troops and numerous camp followers, gamblers, and blacklegs, etc. and carry out their hellish designs and corrupt this people.  This circumstance brought to the mind of Pres. Young ten years exactly from this date July 24, 1847, that if the U.S. government would let this people alone ten years he would with the help of God ask no odds of them.
            Dec. 6, 1857 – the U.S. troops have been kept back in the mountains and are wintering in and about Ham’s Fork.  By the obedience of the brethren going out to Echo Canyon and in the mountains and throwing up breast works, etc. yet it is the God of battles that fights our battles and to him be the honor forever.  The brethren have no returned except a few who are left to watch the enemy.  Their (U.S. troops) animals are dying off with the deep snows, and they are now eating mule meat, being short of provisions.
            1858- This year begins with preparations to raise a standing army to combat with our enemies, but this is given up and at the general April Conference it was unanimously voted that Salt Lake Valley and all the settlements north of the same be abandoned and everything able be moved forth with to the southern settlements.  Then commenced such a scene as never was witnessed before in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The road was lined with teams and stock of all kinds and people and many of the Saints very poorly clad coming from the farthest settlements north of Salt Lake.  The presidency located in the city of Provo, yet many are going still further south of that place. All this time the U. S. troops are quartered in and about Fort Bridger, some 700 miles east.  In the meantime a committee of two- ex-governor Powell of Kentucky and Mage Ben McCullough of Texas- being commissioned from the U.S. Government and empowered to settle the difficulty, also they brought with them a proclamation, signed April 6, 1857, from the President of the United States.  They gave a full pardon to all who resisted the entering in of the troops and compromise was made- and the troops were allowed to come on peaceable terms.  On the 12 day of June 1858, the Presidency and the Twelve with others met the above commission.  The city at this time was in total almost abandoned.  The houses were left desolate without inhabitants, etc. ready to be laid in ashes if necessity required. I was one of the persons called upon to help apply the torches and leave our enemy the country as we found it.  But suffice to say the catastrophe was avoided and an understanding was come to and the people returned to their former homes realizing that God accepted of their offering.  The troops are permitted to come in and they located in Cedar Valley being south- and they call the place Camp Floyd.
            March 26, 1859.  My wife, Alice, brought from another daughter whom we named Mary Ellen.
            This year, 1859, nothing of particular occurrence- but the powers of darkness are cunningly at work seeking to lead away the unwary, yet all the exertion got up to hurt the servants of God prove futile- and God has prospered my labors and endeavors to sustain my family.
            July 29, 1860- My wife again brought forth a fine son whom we named Joshua.
            A.D. 1860  This is an eventful year. The purposes of the Almighty are rolling on.  The rebellion commencing at South Carolinas as was prophesied by Joseph Smith, the great Prophet of the last day though they murdered him in cold blood.  God has decreed that the United States shall be brought to feel His wrath and indignation in His own due time. On July 1, 1860, I was called to be second counselor to Bishop L. E. Harrington.
            1861- The remnant of the army that came up against Utah, or the Kingdom of God, this spring left no more to return having been completely frustrated in all their efforts, and soon not scarcely a vestage left of them.
            1862- This year my son, Joseph Robinson, went to the States to frontiers as a teamster to gather the poor and returned all right.
            1863- The War in the United States still continues- the south is growing weaker all the time.
            1864- My son, Joseph R., volunteered to go back as night guard to assist in the emigration.  Being a wet season he took cold and never survived.  We never heard of his illness. The first news we heard was by Brother Bull coming to us bringing the news that he in trying to bring him in with a carriage he got out at Bear River and got something to eat and then got into the carriage and died in a few minutes.  He was buried on the Weber at Chalk Creek, 40 miles from Salt Lake City.
            Sept 16, 1864- thus he ended his youthful career in dutiful service in the Kingdom of God, and gave his life in assisting to gather the Saints and build up the kingdom that shall stand forever. He has gone to the rest with faithful ones to come forth in the morning of the First Resurrection. His mother’s heart was broken when his pony returned home without him.  This year Emma Julian Mercer was sealed to me for time, and a son was born unto us on January 30, 1865.  We named him William Julian Greenwood.
            1868- This year there has been a great overturning of merchandising in Utah. Cooperative institutions being established in the different cities.  The President of the Church put forth his exertion and means to establish a parent Co-Op Institution so as to supply the branch institutions.  A very business was done and money was plentiful. The Union Pacific Railroad is now building and soon to be completed.  I took an active part in establishing the American Fork Cooperative Institution. I put in $100 to commence with and the object of the Institution is to get all interested in the same and sustain it, each one putting in some, but not to allow a monopoly of capital, but carry out home industry, etc.  Our institution runs very successfully, turning over means or capital after thereby making good profits.  I assisted to make the first purchase of goods and acted as secretary- keeping all accounts.
            1869- The U P R R was completed and other lines – which is quite a change in the freighting of good to this territory.
            On March 22 of this year, I married Bertha Eyring. Called on a mission to the United States at the October Conference, in company with Br. John Hindly and Br. Washburn Chipman of American Fork, also many others.  Arrived back home February 22. 1872 at 11 p.m.
            1874- March 5.  I was ordained a High Priest under the hands of President A. O. Smoot and others and set apart to be first counselor to Bishop L. E. Harrington, having acted as counselor since July 1, 1860, yet not being ordained to the High Priest Quorum but belonging to the Seventies.  Pres. Smoot was mouth.  Br. John Hindley was also ordained a H. P. etc.  and second counselor to Bishop Harrington in place of Br. James Clarke who died March 15, 1873.
            1874- Being called to go on a mission to England by the First Presidency I toiled day and night to get ready.  I left my home on the morning of September 6, 1874, in company with Br. Henry Eyring, my brother-in-law and other elders.  I arrived home March 18, 1875.  In consequence of poor health in England to the damp wet climate it was not wisdom to stay longer, hence I was released and returned home, but can say I enjoyed my mission and could I have enjoyed good health, it would have been a pleasure to remain longer.
              Nov. 14- Dec. 13- My wife Bertha, brought forth my daughter, Charlotte.  My son, Stephen Edward died whilst absent on my mission. Up to the year 1883, I have been toiling and laboring and trying to do my duty.  Congress is trying to pass restrictive laws against the Latter Day Saints. My son, Alma, is on a mission to New Zealand.  Bishop Wm Bromley is our bishop to fill the place of Bishop Harrington who died in June this year.  He brought a very good report of the labors on my son, Alma, in that far off land.
            In 1886 the first raid of the deputies of the U S was made in January arresting Bishop Wm Bromley.  Brother Wm Grant and Brother Warren B Smith got out of their way and are going on the underground or exile. Other raids were made in 1886.  Myself expecting to be arrested, but escaped.  Great excitement prevailed through the settlements of the Saints.  The leading Authorities got out of the way.  The cause of these arrests was against those who practice the plurality of wives, and many families were left destitute of their husbands and fathers.  My son, Joshua, this fall returned from a mission to England just in time to see his mother in her last stage of sickness and attend her funeral. My son, Alma, returned the year before from New Zealand.   I felt proud that I had two sons counted worthy to go on missions to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, and their mother felt proud before her death of the same.
            On the 13th day of November 1886 at 45 minutes past 12, my dear wife, Alice Houghton Greenwood, departed this life after a lingering sickness of nearly two years.  She was patient and enduring in her affliction and seemed to have a great desire to live.  We have journeyed through many trials of poverty and persecutions- having been compelled to leave our home in the State of Illinois.  Still we have enjoyed many pleasant times together, rearing a large family in the poverty times, yet though separated for a short time we hope to enjoy an eternal existence in the Glory of those who had received the fullness of the everlasting Gospel. I was with her to the last minute of her life and her last breath was peaceable and she fell asleep to rest until she shall be raised again to a glorious resurrection which is not far distant.  The day she was interred is the American Fork Cemetery which was Monday, November 15, it was an awful stormy day, scarcely anyone was able to go the cemetery expect my seven sons and five son-in-laws and a few brethren to consecrate the grave and inter the body, but peace be to her ashes until the trumpet of the arch angel shall sound and the dead who died in the Lord shall arise, and join each other to go forth and help to perform ordinances for the redemption of Adam’s great family.
            Spring 1889- My sons removed the remains of wife Alice (I never felt satisfied where she was buried.)  The lot she was moved to is close to the gates entering the cemetery on the left hand as you enter said gates. We put up a very nice marble monument over her grave.
            1889, May 11, 1889, having for some time preparing to go to the Temple at Logan to do work for the dead and living, myself and wife, Bertha E. started on the 9 a.m. UCRR to Salt Lake City and stayed all night in Salt Lake, my wife having gone on the 4 p.m. train May 22 to visit friends in Logan.  Met her in Ogden, May 12, 1889-started on the 10 a.m. UCRR- arrived at Logan 2:15 p.m. same day.   Put up at Sister Curtis’s, her husband being on the underground.  Performed labor on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, also the week after on the same days.  The joy and happy feeling and solid pleasure I never experience in those few days.  I truly was drawing near to God, His Son, Jesus Christ, and holy men who have to this stage of action long, long ago also those who have taken part in this the dispensation of the fullness of times.  We started homeward from Logan, June 3, stopped in Salt Lake on Saturday, and arrived in American Fork Sunday evening- all safe.

* * * * *

Entries to William Greenwood’s journal ended at this point.  An unidentified relative added the following:

He also was one of the first surveyors of American Fork and was the first school teacher acting as principal, assistant and janitor.  William Greenwood departed this life  January 16, 1891 at his home which now stands opposite the Presbyterian Church.  He was an unassuming man but lived a life of service and devotion to God and his fellow men. The Gospel of Jesus Christ was everything to him. He was willing to forsake all and take up his cross and follow the Master. 
            He was prominent in the settlement and development of American Fork- financially, socially, morally and intellectually.  Served as counselor and on the reorganization of the bishopric he was again chosen counselor to Bishop Wm. M. Bromley.
            During his many long weary nights of constant pain (Bright’s disease) a murmur never passed his lips. He born his burden with the patience of Job, the courage of Paul, the love of John the Beloved, and the faith of Abraham.  A portion of his numerous family was at his bedside.  He was the father of 19 children and 64 grandchildren.  At this time, January 26, 1898- his posterity number several hundred revere his memory and are proud of their lineage.

* * * * * 

No comments:

Post a Comment