Friday, June 15, 2012

Ida Weiermann History

      [This history was written by Ida at Moreland, Idaho, 10 July 1955]

     I was born in a country town near Bern, Switzerland, 2nd September 1879. My parents were Gottfreid Weiermann and Anna Elizabeth Reber.  My father was a stone mason and my mother was a seamstress.
     When I was seven years old they were divorced.  They had buried four children, and mother took the three that were left and cared for us as best she could with her sewing.  There was Gottfreid, myself and Jacob.  My father had an aunt that was wealthy, she willed us children five hundred franks in German money.  It was this money that helped us to America in 1890.  Two years before this mother met some Mormon Elders through a neighbor of hers and mother and I were baptized in the fall of 1888 by Elder Alfred Budge who was then a missionary in Switzerland.
    In September 2nd, 1890, mother and my two brothers and I left Switzerland to come to the states.  We arrived in Paris, Idaho, September 28, 1890.  We were rebaptized that fall.  We came over with a large company of Saints and Elders returning home from their missions.  While crossing the North Sea something went wrong with the ship and we had to change ships.  Some how we lost a roll of bedding which we needed very much.
    After landing in New York we came by train the rest of the way to Montpelier.  We enjoyed the trip very much.  Mother had five dollars left of her money to start the winter, but she got work and was able to get through.  My brother, Gottfreid, and I each got a place to live and work for our board.  He went out on a farm and I stayed with the Stucky family and went to school, Mother and Jacob lived in a log cabin.
     My teacher lived at the Stucky home and was very good to help me with my lessons.  The next year I lived with an old couple by the name of Buller.  Then Fred got work at Nounen and got a log cabin for us to live in.  I worked for a lady at the sawmill and in the fall I worked for a Mrs. Skiner close to school.  Mother got work so I stayed at home the next year.  Then we went back to Paris where mother met Mr. Nuffer at a German Conference and later married him, then we moved to Mapleton, Idaho, where he had a farm.  We were all sealed to him.  Mother lived with him for about eight years before she passed away.  We were never very welcome there.  I worked here and there most of the time.
    When mother was about to pass away she decided that she wanted us to be sealed to our own father.  Gottfreid was on a mission at the time in Switzerland, when he came home he went to the authorities to see about this and they granted her desire.  By this time father was dead and we had the work done in the Logan Temple, this was done in about 1905.
     By this time I had married David Wheeler whom I met in Mapleton.  We were married 4th December 1895 in the Logan Temple when I was just a few months passed sixteen years of age.  He went on a mission to the Southern States and I worked most of the time.  While in Mapleton, I was Second Counselor in the Y.L.M.I.A. and Relief Society teacher.  I went out on the Church Ranch at Oxford, to work for a Mrs. Armstrong from Salt Lake City.  I was there three months when she went home to have her baby.  She took me with her.  I stayed there until her baby was three weeks old.  That was in January.  The next year I got very homesick so went back to Preston, then I went to Colinston, Utah, and worked for young Calvin Wheeler=s also a Smith family where I worked ten weeks and got fifteen dollars.  David came home in August 1898 after being gone thirty months.  We stayed with his folks for awhile then in the spring went to Indian Valley.  We stopped at the Snake River below American Falls to mine gold enough to take us on.
   Then at Weiser we stopped and worked on a railroad that was being built to the mines.  David's brother Hardy and their father were with us.  Two of our horses died before we got to Indian Valley. David took a contract making ties for the railroad so we were in the timber most of the summer.  We had  a small tent and a little sheet iron stove.  I cooked for from four to eight men and even baked my bread.  While there I went out to watch the men fall trees most every day when I had nothing else to do.  One day they were falling a tree and I said, "will it come this way?"  And they called and said, "no."  But it did fall toward me, I had no time to get out of the way so I laid down by a dead tree.  The limbs fell all around me, but the tree fell across the dead tree and missed me.
     One night after I had been asleep I awoke and could smell a skunk. I woke David and asked him to get up and see.  I was sure I could see it on  a trunk we had in one end of the wagon, but he said go to sleep we=ll see in the morning.  The skunk I could see in the night was his hat on the trunk and I had peeled onions the night before.  But one night the horses snorted around and the next morning the men found bear tracks real close to camp.  When we got through there we went down to the valley to find a live for the winter.  For awhile we stayed with his Uncle John Hutchinson then we got one room in the home of George Horne, it was built with boards standing up and batting over the cracks but it had a floor.  On December 28th, 1899, Florence was born.  We had a lot of good friends there and the traveling Elders came to our place real often.
   We would enjoy having them come to eat with us but we had no place for them to sleep.  They would have to sleep in Sister Horne=s place.  I had a close call when Florence was born and no doctor near, but the elders came and administered to me then went out to the yard and prayed for me and it was no time until everything was ok.
     The next spring we built a two room house on a place in the upper end of the valley, then we traded it on a small farm and a few cows, we moved to this place, it was a mile to any neighbors.  That summer David hauled wool.  It took two day to make a trip so I would be alone with my baby and I was looking for another one by August and I wasn=t too brave.  His mother came out from Mapleton with her three children but she couldn=t stay long.  By that time the work was hauled and he could stay home with me.  August 29th Leon was born.
       Just two months later I got word Mother was not expected to live much longer so I took my babies and went to Logan, Utah, to take care of her, she passed away December 1, 1901.  David got rid of about everything we had and came to Logan just before mother died.  We had a wagon, two horses and our stove.  After the funeral, we went to Mapleton to live near his folks in an old dirt roofed log house on some school land.  Roy was born there on September 21, 1903.
      We had to get out and look for a home so we came to Moreland in 1905 and bought the Dave White place, it had a little two room lean to, my brother Jacob was with us them.  This place was mostly sagebrush, when the children went out to play I would put a red sunbonnet on Florence, and red waists on the boys, I could see them bob up once in awhile and know where they were.  There were no house between us and Moreland, and we had plenty of tramps to feed.  Lorin was born there September 11th, 1905. 

      That winter David went to Mapleton to work in the timber, about Christmas time I took the four children and went down on the train to visit the folks, a lady gave the children some candy, Leon was about four years old then, he turned to me and said isn=t she a good soul and thanked her.  There was many a smile from the passengers.  I stayed down there three weeks then David came home with me, and we were glad to get home with the youngsters.
      His brother Archie went on a mission the next spring and David thought he would go down and help his folks to run the farm.  We sold the place and moved down, but they didn't need him so he rented a place on Foster Bench and he and Roy Lows, his brother-in-law, ran it. That fall Edward was born October 19, 1907.  Late that fall we moved back to Moreland and moved a house on a lot we bought.  The next spring we took up some desert land out near Tabor, we moved out there a few weeks each year until we could prove up on it.  On August 4th, 1909, our baby James was born in Moreland, he only lived ten hours.
     We stayed in Moreland in our small house and David worked for wages for awhile.  Elnora was born there October 15, 1910.  In 1914, we went out three miles west of Moreland to take care of the crop for Dan Sedgwick while he went to teach school. We stayed there the next year and Dora was born there April 19, 1915.We then sold out lot and bought a place out under the high line and dug a well and build a five room house, we did a lot of the work ourselves, we had a grainery, we lived in when we came out there. So one night while the boys and their father were out burning brush there was a young coyote came into the hut, I gave out such a scream they all came running to see what was up, I threw a bucket at the thing and it was gone by then. At that time land under the highline was not to prosperous and we again sold out and bought the Ernest Cobbley place in West Moreland after two years we sold that and David worked up in the big bend clearing land.
     The smaller children and I lived in the Steve Farnsworth place that year.  Florence went on her mission that spring, April 1918.  The flu was very bad that fall and the missionaries couldn't work so we had her come home for three months.
     Mearl was born October 22, 1918, while she was home to help us.  That fall David got work with the beet seed company and we moved to Firth, he worked there the next year.  Then we moved to the John Jones place at Wapella for two years, during that time my brother's wife died with the flu and we took their two children Donald and Martha for two years.
     In the year 1922, the grass looked pretty good up Montana way, so we had to try that.  Before we moved I took Jake's children to my older brother in North Logan. We went on the train and going from Cache Junction up through the valley the train stopped at every station, Mearl was then about three years old, he said, mama do they have to crank this train every time, that sure got a laugh from the train men.  We moved to Cascade Montana in March 1922 to work with h Lindsey boys on their farm. Our boys were very much dissatisfied so we left there that fall. On May 29th, 1922, Max was born there and again I had a close call, but my life was spared to make a few more moves. 
    That winter I lived at Cascade while the boys and their father worked at the sawmill, the next spring we moved up to Hardy Creek to work the Tintinger ranch, we saved out money and in the fall got us a new Ford.  Then men folks came to Moreland to work in the beets, and the small children stayed with me, we had again moved into Cascade for them to go to school.  When the Lindsay family got ready to ship their stuff back to Moreland, they gave us a chance to come with them and we did.
    The next spring we moved out to the Robinson place and stayed there seven years, we bought us some cows and were doing fairly good when the place changed hands, we were just renters and so moved up to Mackay on Scott Vaught's place.  We raised one crop there and a very poor one at that, so thought it was better to get out of there.  We lived around Moreland then for about eight years while David worked for his brothers Wheeler and England Construction Company.  Mearl worked for them too.  We finally got a lot and built a house and so soon as we had two rooms plastered, we moved in on December 1939.  I had been in camp with David for two summers but was very happy to move to a home of our own.
    We never stayed in one place very long so never had much chance to work in the church.  While living in Mapleton I was Second counselor to the Y.L.M.I.A. also a teacher in Relief Society.  When I first came to Moreland, I was religion class teacher also Relief Society teacher, then in later years I was a teacher in Primary, also Relief Society teacher.  When in Cascade, I was Second Counselor in the Relief Society and still a visiting teacher.  While in Mackay I was Second Counselor in the Primary and visiting teacher in the Relief Society.
    After I had an operation for gall stones in 1936, I was not able for a long time to do work in the church.  Since then I have done crochet work and been able to sell most everything I've made.
    I have made four trips to California to see our son Leon and family and also our dear friends the Robinsons.  The last trip was made in April 1951 with Dora and Mrs. Madsen.  Leon and family have been to see us twice since then.

[ 13 July 1956]
 Once more I'll try to add a little more to this history.

   We have lived in our little home now for nearly 17 years and they have been happy ones because I knew I didn't have to move any more.  I haven't had very good health in the last few years and have paid out a lot to doctors but could never find just what caused the pain in my back.  In May 1954 I had another operation for a bowel obstruction and again I was near death but I came through once more.  I have often wondered why I have come through so many sick spells, but lately I have found out it was to be able to take care of my husband as his health is failing now at the age of eighty-one years, it is my desire to try to get our children on the right track and I do hope and pray that the Lord will hear and answer our prayers as He has done so many times in the past.  I am grateful for our children and the blessings I have enjoyed during my life.  Whenever there have been unpleasant things to thrash out and I have asked in faith for help from the Lord my prayers have been answered.  The children and some of the grandchildren have given us many useful things in late years.  In the last three years we have received from them a TV set, a hot water heater, and an automatic washer machine which we greatly appreciate.
     During the time David worked on the road, I did some Temple Work in the Logan Temple and last year I went to the Idaho Falls Temple with Florence one session. I also went through the Salt Lake Temple with Florence when she went on her mission in April 1918.

     [This was written by Lois Christiansen Olsen.]

            What is this mystery that men call death?
             Our mother before us lies; in all save breath
            She seems the same as yesterday.
            Her face so like to life, so calm, bears not
            A trace of that great change which all of us so dread
             I gaze on her and say "She is not dead but sleeps,
             And soon she will arise and take me by the hand as
             She did yesterday
             And she will have some gentle word to say,
             Some kindly deed to do.
             For loving thought was warp and woof
             Of which her life was wrought.
             She is not dead, souls like this forever live,
             In boundless measure of the love they give.

     Ida Weiermann Wheeler was born in Bern Switzerland, 2 September 1879, the daughter of Gottfreid Weiermann and Anna Elizabeth Reber.  She passed away at Bingham Memorial Hospital 6 January 1959 after a serious illness lasting about three weeks. She is survived by her husband David and the following sons and  daughters: Florence, Leon, Roy, Lorin, Edward, Elnora, Dora, Mearl and Max, thirty eight grandchildren and 55 great grand children.  One son, James, preceded her in death.  Her mother was a seamstress and supported her daughter and two sons in this profession.  They were converted to the Latter Day Saints Church and were baptized in 1888.  Two years later they sacrificed all they had to come to America and live in Zion.  Before they left Switzerland, great grandmother fried bread in butter for them to eat.  The Mormon elders had taught them to say "Hot Water" and they were able to ask for this on the boat.  They poured this over their bread and this was their main food on the trip.  They came Steerage and on the voyage had to changes ships.  During this move their bedding, which they needed very badly, was lost.  When they arrived at Paris, Idaho, Great Grandmother had only $5.00 on which to start a new life.  She was able to get work and thus supported her family.  Grandma Wheeler had very little schooling. She boarded out in homes for two winters and went to school about two months each winter.  This constituted her formal education.
   She married David Wheeler, 4 December 1895, in the Logan Temple.  He was called on a mission to the Southern States just six weeks later and was gone for 30 months.  During this time grandma worked in different homes doing housework.  She some time in Preston.  In those days they did washing on the board, ironing with stove irons and scrubbing.  Much harder work than we do now.  Her wages were $1.50 a week.  She worked in the home of Apostle Cowley at the time of the birth of Matthew W.            

     After grandpa returned from his mission, they moved to Indian Valley, Idaho. During their trip they had to stop and grandpa mined gold to get enough money to go to their destination.  While living in Indian Valley her first two children were born.  She nearly gave her life when her first baby was born.  The elders were called in and between them and grandma's great faith, her health was restored.
    In these early years, they moved often and suffered many hardships.  After receiving word of the serious illness of her mother, grandma took her two small children and returned to Logan to care for her mother until death.  Grandpa sold all their belongings and came to Logan to be with her.
     They later moved to Mapleton and lived in a dirt roofed log house.  In 1905 they moved to Moreland and bought the Dave White place where we now live.  When the children went out to play, she put a red bonnet on Florence and white shirts on the two boys so she could check on where they were playing.  One day the dog was making an awful noise so grandma went out to see what was the matter.  The dog was fighting with a coyote and nearly had it killed.  She picked up a wagon spoke and finished the job, then tied her apron on to it and dragged it to the house to be skinned.  They lived in a two room lean to which is still standing on the place.
     When grandpa's brother was called on a mission, they sold out and went back to Mapleton to help on the farm.  One year later they returned to Moreland, with the exception of one year in MacKay and two years in Montana have lived in this vicinity.
     In addition to raising her own nine children, she took her brother's 2 children and raised then for two years.
   Grandma held many positions in the church.    She was a counselor in the M.I.A. and Primary besides being a teacher in several organizations.  She was also a visiting teacher in the Relief society for several years.
    For the past 25 years, her health has been poor and she had been unable to be active in the church or ward.
     Grandma was a quiet, unassuming, hard working woman, going about her duties with determination.  She was a spotless house keeper and very fussy about her washing and ironing.  She was uncomplaining in her illness and greatly appreciated any small service or word of encouragement given her.  In spite of her poor health, she was never idle.  Her hands were always busy knitting and crocheting beautiful articles.  Some of these she sold but many of the homes of her children and grandchildren are graced with the beautiful work she did.  For every new great grandchild that came into the world she always crochet white bibs.
    Grandma had and exercised a lot of faith and called upon the Lord for help many times while raising her family and after they were grown.  I think this expressed how she felt;
         I love the Lord, because he hath heard
          My voice and my supplications.
          Because He hath inclined His ear unto me
          Therefore will I call upon Him as long as I live.
          I was brought low, and He helped me
          Return unto thy rest, O my soul
          For the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee
          For Thou hast delivered my soul from death
          Mine eyes from tears,
          And my feet from falling
          I will take the cup of salvation
          And call upon the name of the Lord
          Now in the presence of all His people
          In the courts of the Lord=s house
          In the midst of thee, O Jerusalem
          Praise ye the Lord!

   In the passed few years modern conveniences given to her by her children have helped make her life more enjoyable.  She expressed her appreciation for these things many times.        
    Grandma and grandpa were a very happy and devoted couple.  They lived together in their own home until the time of grandma=s passing. I am thankful that my children were privileged to know grandma and visit with her on different occasions.  She will be missed by all those who knew and loved her.  In closing I would like to read this tribute to her:

             A virtuous woman who can find?
              For her price is far above rubies
             The heart of her husband trusteth in her
             And he shall have no lack of gain

             She soweth him good and not evil
             All the days of her life,
             She seeketh wood and flax
             And worketh willingly with her hands

             She is like the merchant ships
             She bringeth her food from afar
             She riseth also while it is yet night
             And giveth meat to her household

             And their tasks to her maidens
             She considereth a field, and buyeth it
             With the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard
             She girdeth her loins with strength

             And maketh strong her arms
             She preceiveth that her merchandise is profitable
             Her lamp goeth not out by night
             She layeth her hands to the distaff    
            And her hands hold the spindle
            She spreadeth out her hand to the poor
            Yea, she reacheth out her hand to the needy
             She is not afraid of the snow for her household;

            For all her household are clothed with scarlet
            Strength and dignity are her clothing
            And she laugheth at the time to come
            She openeth her mouth with wisdom
            And the law of kindness is on her tongue
            She looketh well to the ways of her household
            And eateth not the bread of idleness
             Her children rise up, and call her blessed
             Her husband also, and he praiseth her, saying
             AMany daughters have done virtuously,

No comments:

Post a Comment