Thursday, June 14, 2012

Manly C Green Obituary

Obituary:  MANLY C. GREEN
October 11, 1898
Provided by the Buffalo and Erie County  Historical Society


Expired at His Home after Returning With His Wife From an Evening Call.

He was a member of the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the Fourth Department

The Honorable Manly C. Green, Justice of the Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Fourth Department, sitting at Rochester, died suddenly at 11 o’clock last night while seated in his favorite armchair at his home, No. 70 Ashland Avenue.

            Heart disease was the cause of death, and the fatal attack came wholly without warning.  The shock, which will be felt by the entire community, completely prostrated Mrs. Green, who had a few minutes before returned with her husband from an evening’s visit with her sister, Mrs. Bird, in Auburn Avenue.

            As they entered the house on their return, Justice Green said to his wife that he did not feel well.  He went into the bathroom, and came out with a newspaper in his hands.  This, he said, he desired to read before he went to bed.  He said that he would take the newspaper to his room with him.

            To read something that appeared to interest him, Justice Green sat down in his arm chair and leaned back.  He read only for a short time, Mrs. Green being busy in removing her wraps and in preparing for bed.


            No more was spoken to warn Mrs. Green of the near approach of her husband’s death.  When she had finished her preliminary arrangements for going to her room, Mrs. Green turned to ask the Justice to accompany her.

            But she did not speak.  Her husband still reclined in his chair, but his arms had dropped at the sides of the arm rests, and he was motionless and staring.  She was startled by the Justice’s appearance.  Then she touched him, the truth came to her and she cried out with the pain the knowledge gave her.

            Neighbors heard her cries, and as they ran into the yard Mrs. Green met them at the door and told them that the Justice was dead.

            This was difficult for the neighbors to understand, for the body of the Justice, as it reclined on the chair did not appear lifeless.  Justice Green seemed to be resting in his armchair, a position in which he had often been seen.

            But there was no denying what Mrs. Green had said when an investigation was made.  There was no pulse, no respiration and the body was limp.  Tender words of sympathy were spoken to the distracted wife, but she could not be soothed.  As soon as possible she was placed in the care of the family physician.

            To Justice Green’s neighbors, his sudden death was a great shock.  They say that since his return from Rochester on Saturday he appeared to be in better health than they had seen him in a long time.  But his appearance was deceptive.  Since his return he has frequently complained to Mrs. Green of being unable to keep his hands warm.

Favorite With Children

Otherwise he had no ills, and felt stronger and heartier than for weeks before.  As had been his accustomed pastime he ran, wrestled and frolicked with his young son in the yard yesterday, a custom which has given him a warm place in the hearts of all the children in the neighborhood.

            They knew him and loved him because he played with them at their games, and invented new forms of amusements for them.  And of all the sorrow that will come with the news of Justice Green’s death, the children who loved him will carry a large share.

            Justice Green was 53 years old.  He was born in Sardinia, this county, being the son of  Obadiah J. Green, at one time County Clerk, and one of the first Police Commissioners of this city and as a member of the General Assembly was instrumental in securing the passage of the Niagara Frontier Police bill.

            Justice Green came to Buffalo at the age of 12 years, when his father took the office of County Clerk.


He received a liberal education, and began the study of law in the office of Bowen and Rogers.  He remained here for five years, when he formed a partnership with William L. Marcy, which lasted until he was elected in 1891 a Justice of the Supreme Court.

            In 1893 he was appointed a member of the Appellate Division, Fourth Department.

            Justice Green was twice married, his first wife dying about nine years ago.  By his first wife he had two children, Mrs. L. M. Eighmy (or Elghmy) of No. 174 Cleveland Avenue, and Lincoln Green, age 18 years. 

            Six years ago he married Miss Ingersoll, the daughter of Edward S. Ingersoll of Auburn Avenue, by whom he had one son, Manly C. Green, Jr., aged 5 years.

            Justice Green attended regularly St. Mary’s -On -the -Hill.


Justice Green and Justice Hamilton Ward ran together on the Republican ticket in 1891, and both were elected.  They defeated W. Caryl Ely of Niagara Falls and the late Judge Myron H. Peck of Batavia.  They convention which nominated Justices Green and Ward was held in the Iroquois hotel on September 18, 1891.  There had been a sharp preliminary canvass and up to the morning of the convention the following named men were in the field as candidates:
 The late Judge Charles Daniels. Manly C. Green, Justice Hamilton Ward, up for renomination, Tracy c. Becker, Judge Alfred Spring, County Judge of Cattaraugus County, now a justice of the Supreme Court, and Judge Potter of Niagara county.

            As soon as the convention was called to order it was announced that Judge Daniels had withdrawn.  Justice Green was then nominated by acclamation and so was Justice Ward a few minutes later.



No comments:

Post a Comment